Getting help dealing with a friend or parent, school, life, can cause palms to sweat. Try counseling once or twice, then decide if it is right for you. If it makes you feel better -- more in control, more powerful, happier, more energized, or just a bit smarter and encouraged, then come when you like and stop when you wish.
Here are a few things I focus on with teens:
- Ways to improve mood and relieve stress
- Strategies to increase self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Support to improve family and friend relationships.
- Guidance in making college and career decisions.
- Ideas for improving academic skills and motivation.
- Openness to discuss whatever is on your mind.
And here's what I won't do:
- Pry into your personal life and ask millions of questions about what you don't want to talk about.
- Come up with all kinds of dumb ideas that you won't use.
- Be boring.
- Be judgmental.
"Thank you for all your help this semester. I could not have done as well in school without our meetings!"